The holiday season is a time of joy and togetherness, but it’s also an opportune moment to check in on our elderly loved ones. As we gather around festive tables and exchange laughter, it’s crucial to be attentive to any changes in behavior or health that may signal the need for adjustments in their estate planning. Let’s explore some simple ways to spot changes in your elderly family members during this special time of year:
1.Observing Physical Changes:
- Pay attention to their mobility and balance during family gatherings.
- Notice any unexplained weight loss or gain that might indicate health issues.
2. Cognitive Function:
- Engage in conversations that stimulate their cognitive abilities.
- Be mindful of forgetfulness or confusion during familiar holiday traditions.
3. Emotional Well-being:
- Watch for sudden mood swings or increased irritability.
- Take note of social withdrawal or a lack of interest in festive activities.
4. Health-Related Cues:
- Keep an eye on medications – are they being taken as prescribed?
- Be aware of changes in sleep patterns or complaints about pain.
5. Estate Planning Conversations:
- Approach discussions with sensitivity, expressing concern for their well-being.
- Emphasize the importance of updating wills and medical directives to reflect current wishes.
6. Legal and Financial Matters:
- Review financial statements for any unusual transactions.
- Ensure legal documents are up to date, including power of attorney and beneficiaries.
5. Social Connections:
- Assess their social interactions to identify any signs of isolation.
- Encourage them to share their feelings and concerns about the future.
The holidays offer a unique opportunity to connect with our elderly loved ones and observe any changes that may require attention. By being proactive and addressing potential issues, you can contribute to their well-being and ensure that their estate planning reflects their current needs and wishes. Approach these conversations with empathy and consider involving professionals to assist with legal and financial aspects.
This holiday season let’s prioritize the health and happiness of our elders and create a foundation for a secure and well-planned future. Reserve your spot by scheduling a discovery call, or by clicking here.